The Two Mikes

The Two Mikes
Ever wanted to talk with someone about a book you just read? You could just join a book group and talk about it, drink a little, veer off on tangents, work back around to the book again, and finally wrap it up by picking the next book.

But what happens when the book you just read is about about hungry zombies or a haunted house, and your Eat, Pray, Love–reading friends aren’t really into reading it, much less discussing its finer points? That’s what we’re here for. We Two Mikes will be your virtual book group for discussing new and interesting and old and half-forgotten horror books.

If you want to follow along with us, look at the next forbidden book on the table and start reading.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Episode 22.0 Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch

Click image to listen

Listen while the Two Mikes pontificate over this first part of the bestselling series of dark fantasy novels from Russia. We attack and retreat in the endless battle between light and dark and finally settle down to some briny vodka.

It's cocktail time!

The Chalk of Destiny


One shot chilled Russian vodka (the good stuff)
One pickled white asparagus tip

skewer the asparagus tip in the vodka. Drink. It's just that simple.


Demon Bunny says "Happy Easter!"



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked how you guys mixed a little movie talk into the show. Maybe to get shows out faster, you could do every other show on movies adapted from books? Another great show.

Necronomipod@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the comment deadpaul. We Two Mikes initially decided on our book-only format because there are so many horror movie discussion 'casts out there. But we like the idea of have book-turned-into-movie discussions, like we did with Night Watch. Do you have any suggestions for books that have been turned into movies? We decided that we'll give Scott Smith's The Ruins a crack when it gets released on DVD. Others?

Mike S.

Anonymous said...

I like the "The Ruins" idea. When "World War Z" comes out that would be a good one too. I'll have to think about any others. I've heard that "The Prophecy" is based on Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness", but the book is so boring that I haven't been able to finish it. If Brian Keene's "The Rising" is ever made into a movie that would be good too. I know "Hellraiser" is based on a Clive Barker short story. I have a "Dawn of the Dead" novelization, would that make it legal for you guys to talk about "Dawn of the Dead." If it does, then "Return of the Living Dead" is loosely based on the John Russo book of the same name.
Speaking of books, could you do one of Christoper Pike's early adult novels, like "The Cold One" or "The Listeners?" I know they're kind of light, but it would be fun to hear what you guys think of them.

Anonymous said...

How about "The Mist?" That's a decent novella. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds good too.

Necronomipod@gmail.com said...

Thanks for ideas, deadpaul. I saw the movie version of "The Ruins" over the weekend and liked it well enough. I quibbled with some of the divergences from the novel, but on the whole I dug the adaptation.

WWZ will definitely get some attention on the 'cast when it is released. Even now, fully a year after we read it, it is one of my favorites.

I actually read and still own (somewhere) the original pbk version of John Russo's Return of the Living Dead. It was not much of a book, frankly; I didn't know that the sideways sequel movie of the same name was actually based on it. Hmmm.

I'll check out those Christopher Pike books. I hadn't hear of them. Thanks for the recommendation!

Finally, you don't have to worry about us reading any more Frank Peretti books; the blame he holds for coauthoring "House" (see our past episode on it) will forever ban him from my shelves. Ugh.

ps. "The Mist" is fan-freakin'-tastic. The movie, I mean—I haven't read the story yet.